Bowling Green, Kentucky Advance To Men's Soccer Championship

Updated 11/6/2000

Bowling Green Defeats Buffalo In Semis, Advances To Final

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- The top-seeded Bowling Green Falcons used an early goal and then held off the Buffalo Bulls to win 1-0 in a Mid-American Conference Tournament semifinal matchup. Bowling Green improves to 9-7-1 and will advance and host the MAC Championship while Buffalo ends its season at 6-10-2.

The only scoring in the game came in the first three minutes when Bowling Green would capitalize on one of its four early corner kicks. Adam Erhard took the corner kick and hit it to the far side of the box where Fred Degand headed the ball to the middle of the box to a waiting Gene Braxton. Braxton then headed it past UB goalie Brian Wozniak for a 1-0 Falcon lead at the 2:46 mark.

In the second half, Bowling Green had most of the offensive attacks, as the Falcons outshot UB 14-8 in the game and had ten corner kicks to the Bulls' four. The closest chance the Falcons had to extend the lead came with three minutes remaining as a BGSU player broke free and got past Wozniak, who had come out of the box. With an open net, the Falcons looked to have a sure goal until a great defensive play by Perry Duronio as he kicked it away to save the goal. Buffalo could never get a consistent offensive attack going however and would end their season with the 1-0 lose.

With the win, Bowling Green will advance to the Mid-American Conference Championship game, which the Falcons will host as the top seed from the regular season. The Falcons will host Kentucky who defeated Marshall 1-0 in the other semifinal game.

Game Recap:
#6 Buffalo 0 0 - 0
#1 B. Green 1 0 - 1

BGSU - Gene Braxton (Adam Erhard/Fred Degan) - 2:46

Shots: UB - 8; BG - 14
Corner Kicks: UB - 4; BG - 14
Fouls: UB - 16; BG - 13
Goalie Saves: UB - Brian Wozniak - 6; BG - Deavid DeGraff - 3

Kentucky Defeats Marshall, Faces Bowling Green In Finals

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- The Kentucky Wildcats played most of the second half with a man advantage and eventually capitalized for a 1-0 win over Marshall in a Mid-American Conference Tournament semifinal matchup. Kentucky advances to face Bowling Green for the MAC title. The Wildcats also won the title last season and will be looking for their second straight championship title.

The first half was controlled by Kentucky, who had most of the momentum and recorded four shots to Marshall's two shots before halftime. Neither team could find the net however and the game went to the break tied 0-0. In the second half, Marshall's Chris Donovan picked up his second yellow card of the game at the 58:05 mark, forcing the Herd to play the remainder of the game a man short.
The Wildcats took advantage quickly on a beautiful play. Giovanni Fernandes fed the ball down the left side to Tyler Cook, who then dropped a pass to the middle of the box for Marc Theriault who shot it past Marshall goalie Tally Goode for a 1-0 lead at the 65:05 mark. Kentucky then held on the rest of the game, thanks in part to five saves from goalkeeper Brian O'Leary.

With the win, Kentucky improves to 10-8-1 on the year while Marshall falls to 14-5-1. The Wildcats will travel to play at top-seeded Bowling Green for the MAC Championship game.

Game Recap:
#4 Kentucky 0 1 - 1
#2 Marshall 0 0 - 0

UK - Marc Theriault (Tyler Cook/Giovanni Fernandes) - 65:05

Shots: UK - 7; MU - 8
Corner Kicks: UK - 3; MU - 2
Fouls: UK - 22; MU - 11
Goalie Saves: UK - Brian O'Leary - 5; MU - Tally Goode - 2